PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES|COOK TIME: 40 MINUTES| SERVINGS: 3-4
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- 1 large chopped yellow onion
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 and ½ cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 2 and ½ cups of half and half cream
- 1 tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 1 lb of broccoli; cut into pieces
- ½ cup of shredded carrots
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese plus more for garnishing
- In a Dutch oven and over medium heat, melt the butter; then add the onions and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes
- Add the garlic and cook for about 2 additional minutes
- Add in the flour and cook for about 5 to 7 additional minutes
- Add a little bit of chicken broth; then let the flour absorb it very well then pour in more chicken
- Keep whisking; then pour in the half and half cream and stir; then bring the mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes
- Bring your soup to a simmer and while the soup heats up, season it with the salt, the ground mustard, the smoked paprika, and the pepper, to taste then once bubbling, reduce the heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and the carrots to the soup; then let simmer for about 20 minutes uncovered
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese until it is very well incorporated.
- Serve the soup immediately or with more cheddar cheese and enjoy its taste!
Calories: 376, Fat: 30g, Carbohydrates: 15g, Protein: 13g, Dietary Fiber: 2g